Decorative moldings can make a house look like it was hand crafted and more expensive and it also adds quite a bit of value to the home. If your house has no decorative molding at all or it is limited, then your house might be lacking the distinction that other houses in the area have.
Here are 7 reasons why you should have decorative molding in your house:
- Baseboard molding conceals any gaps between the walls and the floor. Baseboard molding used to come in three different pieces, which made it difficult to install and it didn’t look as nice as it should have. The newer baseboard moldings are made from one piece of wood that has a more contemporary look.
- A chair rail was designed to protect a wall from getting banged into by furniture, however nowadays it is used to make a room look more polished and finished. Chair rails can be placed at almost any height as long as the top and bottom spaces are proportioned correctly.
- Adding value to your home can be as simple as adding wainscoting to the wall. You have many choices for the material that you use and some of your choices are wood panels, beadboard or raised panels.
- Window casings can be used to add more architectural details to a space. The window casings can either be purchased at a store or they can be custom made for your house.
- All of your door casings should match your window casings when it comes to style. The only difference should be that the size of the trim is larger on the doors.
- If you have a lot of items that you want to display inside your home, we recommend that you install a plate rail. This plate rail is placed at the top of the rail and the size of the shelf can be customized depending on what you would like to display.
- Crown molding always used to be found in older homes and it works well with really high ceilings. If you have to choose between one specific decorative molding type for your house, then crown molding should be number one on your list.
By taking the time to add some additional architectural design to your house with decorative moldings, you will not only style but value as well. Your home will look and feel more inviting too. They say the devil is in the details, and we feel that crown molding is one detail that gets overlooked way too often.
Give us a call at our Maryland office at 410-877-6112 or our Delaware office at 302-793-9352 to schedule an appointment to discuss your upcoming home improvement project with us. We would welcome the opportunity to work with you to make your home the incredible space you deserve.