Having a custom home built can be an amazing experience if you begin planning at least several months in advance. There are many things that you can do in order to make the entire process of having a custom home built go smoothly and even more affordable. Today we’re going to outline 7 things that you can do before having a custom home built:
- Set Goals: You need to set goals for your custom home and have a plan in mind. These goals do not all have to be realistic, however they should answer some basic questions. With these goals, you should be able to decide where you want to live, what the cost will be, and will the plan achieve what you want?
- Create a Budget: Next, you will want to decide on a budget for the house. This budget should include the entire cost of the build as well as landscaping, furniture, decorating and money for any issues and problems that occur.
- Locate the Land: Finding land months before the building begins will mean that the building can start on schedule.
- Meet Your Contractor Early: You should meet with contractors and hire one of them in advance. This process can take some time, so it is best to do this at least a few months before you want to start building. There is nothing worse than finding the perfect contractor and finding out that they are booked for a year in advance, and you wanted to start building in two months.
- Contingency Plans: You should always have a plan and then a couple of contingency plans just in case things don’t go as planned. The design of the house should be completely accurate before the build begins. There will be a lot of decisions that need to be made and what may have looked good on paper may not be working out correctly afterwards. You will need to be prepared to make changes on the fly as needed.
- Prepare for the Unknown: There is always a glitch somewhere and the best plans may need to be changed. Don’t let these little issues weigh you down during the planning or building process. Find a way around them that works for you and your contractor.
- Purchase in Advance: There are many things that you can purchase in advance of the home being built. You can save thousands of dollars by purchasing items on sale throughout the year leading up to the build. When you do this, you can have all of the perfect and expensive items that you want for a fraction of the cost.
With some planning and ingenuity, you can have the perfect custom home built with less hassle and less money. By spending more time on the details before the building begins, you can save a lot of time during the building process as well. Give us a call at 410-877-6112 or 302-739-9352 any time to start planning your spring or summer 2017 home build. We’ll schedule an appointment and get the ball rolling.