Few things give away the age of your home like an old roof. While an aging roof may look unattractive, there are practical and financial reasons to act when it seems like a replacement is necessary. While a roof does add to the beauty of a home, even a small leak can lead to damage and expensive repairs.
The fact that a roof is old does not mean that it has to be replaced. You might be able to extend its life by carrying out some repairs. Sings that this is necessary include:
- A few missing Shingles
- Shingle granules in the gutters, indicating that they are worn or loose
- Water stains on interior walls
- A sagging deck
- Blistering paint on exterior walls
A lot depends on the severity of these signs, but if you notice more than one, it is possible that the damage is too for along for repairs. Also, failure to deal with minor repairs can shorten the life of the roof.
If your roof is no old that it needs to be replaced, you will most likely be able to tell just by looking. Generally, roof can last for roughly 20years, although there may be factors that contribute to faster decline. So if your roof has reached that age, you should consult a roofing expert about your options. Sings that you should invest in a new roof include:
- Frequent shingle granule deposits in the gutters mean that the shingles are breaking down rapidly
- Bald spots on the roof due to extensive shingle loss, which will worsen unless the problem is addressed
- Curling at the edges of shingles, or the tabs may have a cupped appearance
- Streaks on roof decks usually indicate the presence of algae, which tells you that moisture is constantly present
If the homes in your neighborhood are roughly the same age, seeing your neighbors changing their roofs is a good indicator that you should assess your own roof. Even if you don’t see any leaks in the home, you should not wait for this to happen before talking to a roofing expert.
Home Improvements and Roof Replacement in the Earleville Area
Call us at 410-877-6112 or 302-793-9352 if you’re in Earleville or the surrounding areas and would like to discuss roof replacement with us. A new roof will enhance the home’s value, and increase curb appeal. The length of time it takes to remove a roof and put on a new one varies, depending on the size and pitch. On average, this type of project takes three to five days to complete.