We’re already four months into 2016! Where has the time gone? Now that it’s time for April’s showers to nourish May’s flowers, it’s also time for you to consider what you’re going to do with your old deck for summer entertainment. Is it ready to handle your family and friends again this year? Have you kept it maintained and ready for whatever the 2016 summer will bring? Let’s look at a few great ways to remodel the deck to improve flow and functionality.
- Add Tiers – Multiple tiers add dimension to the deck and provide individual areas for people to gather. Create different nooks for added comfort with built-in seating.
- Comfort – Deck furniture is generally very functional, but not very comfortable. Look for furnishings that add both functionality and comfort. Consider buying additional cushions for increased comfort.
- Lighting – Deck rail lighting is a lovely way to add dimension and ambient lighting for those late evening gatherings. Most deck rail lighting is installed under the top rail so that it isn’t harsh when the sun goes down. Install task lighting near the grill and other areas where lighting is crucial.
- Outdoor Kitchen – Create a nook to be used specifically for kitchen duty. A full outdoor kitchen allows the chef to be involved in all types of entertainment while preparing food instead of being stuck inside in the kitchen.
- Garbage Receptacles – Strategically placed garbage receptacles are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles. Choose bins that add to the beauty and functionality of the deck. This will also prevent a lot of trash from landing on the deck as the gathering progresses.
- Entertainment – Install a sound system on the deck or consider a covered area with a nice wide screen television or a projection screen for movies. Late evening movie watching doesn’t have to be confined to the indoors, especially on those cool nights when you can snuggle up by a nice fire.
- Fire Pit or Fireplace – The deck is a beautiful place for a fire pit or a fireplace. You can easily purchase a fire pit from a local retailer or home improvement store, or you can build a custom fire pit or go all out with an outdoor fireplace.
- Water Features – The deck is the perfect place for a small water feature such as a waterfall vase, or an entire water wall. We do recommend taking extra precautions with water features because water is heavy and requires additional support.
Sundance Custom Homes has two offices to better serve you. Our base of operations is in Earleville, Maryland, or you may reach us in our Delaware office. Contact our Maryland office at 410-877-6112 or our Delaware office at 302-793-9352 to schedule an appointment for a consultation.