Basement remodeling projects are a great way to add value and usable space to your home. A basement makeover can be the perfect thing when you’re looking for an update. Here are five tips to consider before you begin your basement project.
- Lay it Out: Before you begin working on walls, floors, and windows, think about how you’ll want the room set up when it’s finished. If you’re putting in a bedroom, consider codes and whether they’ll need a window for egress. Put the main socializing area near windows or doors where the natural light draws people in and makes them feel at home.
- Inspect and Fix: Whether you choose to have a professional inspection or not, there are a few simple things you can do to detect common problems before you begin work on your basement. It’s important to test for moisture since it can cause rot and structural damage. Simple 2 foot squares of plastic sheeting taped to the floor and walls for a couple of weeks will reveal any condensation. If you find water underneath, your foundation may not be sealed correctly. You should also inspect floor joists for sagging and look for any rot or insect damage in joists and wood-framed windows.
- Look at Height: Before beginning to finish your basement, consider local codes. Many call for 7 or more feet of clearance. If you don’t have that height to begin with, it’s not the end of the world. Concrete floors can be lowered, though it can be pricey. Sometimes, moving ducts and pipes might solve the problem as well.
- Plan to Keep Dry: Before finishing your basement, make sure that you’ve waterproofed as much as possible. First, make sure soil outside is sloped away from the foundation. Then, install diverters to send your gutter runoff at least 10 feet away from your foundation. Make sure any cracks and gaps are sealed tightly.
- Be Smart with Walls: Standard drywall can be a prime breeding ground for mold. For your basement finishing project, consider gypsum panels or non-paper-faced sheetrock panels. Be sure to ask about mold resistance before purchasing materials.
Give us a call if you’d like to discuss more ideas for remodeling your basement. We’re located in Earleville, Maryland, and we provide all types of remodeling and building services through parts of Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. Call us at 410-877-6112 in our Maryland office, 302-793-9352 in our Delaware office, or either number for services in Pennsylvania.